Facebook. What would we do without it? This social networking site has become an essential part of our lives for communicating with our friends and loved ones. If you are recently married or will be tying the knot soon, changing your name on government identification, organization cards, magazine subscriptions and well, EVERYTHING, is a task that no one looks forward to doing.
In this day and age, we all know no relationship changes are official until it happens on Facebook, so put changing your name on your credit cards, driver’s license and social security card temporarily on the back burner. Luckily, changing your name on Facebook takes no longer than a minute or two. Follow these steps to change your name on Facebook:
- Since Facebook requires you to use your real name, your married name now supersedes your maiden name. Review the network’s name standards before you make any changes.
- Go to Settings located in the top right corner of every Facebook page and access your Account Settings.
- On the left hand side, choose General, which is your first option.
- You will want to choose Edit on the right hand side of the Name setting.
- Complete your name as you would like it to be seen. There is also an option to add an alternate name, so if you’d like to include your maiden name on your timeline, you can do so on this page as well.
- Click Save Changes, and you are all done!
You are only allowed to change your name on Facebook a certain amount of times, so if you haven’t decided 100% how you want your married name to appear (with a hyphen, without a hyphen, etc), you have a few chances to make up your mind.
Once you have completed your name change on Facebook, contact us today to see how we can help with changing your name with the more daunting organizations!